Monday, August 22, 2005

Guilty

I killed two bats last night barreling down 79 at 75 mph. Ten thousand generations of bats have fed peacefully in that dark valley until I rolled my bag of useless blood and bones through in the mankind's most insidious invention. I was doing what all Americans do these days. I was to-ing and fro-ing, zigging and zagging, killing time trying to think of new ways to spend money to keep myself from getting bored, or facing the absolute pointlessness of my existence.

They were flying together doing something that I don't think we will ever understand. They flashed through my headlights. If you believe they hate bright light then they were probably blind when they smashed into my windshield. You have to imagine their broken bodies tumbling through the darkness. Hopefully back into the woods but probably not.

A bat flew into my bedroom a couple of weeks ago. I was asleep until the cats knocked a couple of pictures off the mantle on my head. I turned on the the light thinking I wanted to kill the cats until I saw them sitting like soldiers in formation on the mantle, their heads moving in perfect unison following the path of the bat as he circled my bed.

It took me an hour to capture the bat and put him outside. If you could have seen this bat you would never be afraid of bats again. It was terrified.

One thousand years ago...100 years ago people were a harmless virus on the planet.

We have mutated. I just hope the planet can find a way to fight us off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home